Viruses are formidable foes for the human body. Powerful natural remedies are hard to come by. That’s because most chemical compounds cannot get through the cell wall of a virus to destroy it from within. Fortunately, many essential oils do just that!
But first, a quick review for readers who are new to the essential oil discussion.
What is an Essential Oil?
Essential oils are naturally occurring compounds found in plants. In addition to providing unique aromas, essential oils help the plant to protect and regenerate itself. We can benefit from those protective and restorative properties as well. There are several essential oils that are naturally antibacterial. Use them to support your immune system or cleaning inhabited spaces.
Below are antiviral essential oils to safeguard your immune system.
Antiviral Essential Oils
- arborvitae– earthy, musty aroma. Popular for use in calming and grounding blends
- basil- warm, spicy aroma. Respected for improving focus and relieving stress
- cassia– cousin of cinnamon. Supports immune function
- cinnamon– spicy, bold aroma. Popular in holiday blends to create a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Do not use during pregnancy
- eucalyptus- earthy, minty aroma. Excellent for promoting easeful respiration
- ginger- hot, spicy aroma. Supports healthy digestion and battles indigestion
- helichrysum (immortelle)- honey, floral aroma. Excellent for cellular regeneration and skincare
- lemon- springy, citrus aroma. Commonly used in natural kitchen and bath cleaning products
- lime- springy, citrus aroma. Uplifts mood and invigorates body
- melaleuca (tea tree)- herbaceous, leathery aroma. It is 12 times stronger than carbolic acid, an ingredient in commercial antibacterial products
- melissa– sweet, floral aroma. Eases tension for a restful night’s sleep
- myrrh– smoky, herbaceous aroma. Promotes emotional balance
- oregano- sharp, earthy aroma. Also aids in digestion and respiration when taken internally
- peppermint– sweet, minty aroma. Promotes healthy digestion
- thyme– a warm, herbaceous aroma. Contraindicated during pregnancy or for those with high blood pressure
- vetiver- woody, smoky aroma. Respected for calming anxiety, promoting balance and rest
Be sure to research each antiviral essential oil for its safest and most effective application.
Consider integrating these antiviral essential oils into your home and office care routine.
How to Choose the Best Essential Oils
It’s important to get Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) essential oils. Such oils are nature grown, not synthetic. Synthetic oils have molecules that are too thick and heavy to be absorbed by our bodies properly. As a result, many synthetic oils are not antiviral. They often lack key combinations of much-needed compounds so they can’t improve your health in the same way that CPTG essential oils can.
Synthetic oils are not safe for consumption and many should not be applied directly to the skin. Many CPTG essential oils can be applied to skin and consumed. Research each oil for its most effective and safest application.
doTERRA essential oils are CPTG. This is a step above organic in that each oil is rigorously tested for purity and potency and each stage of production, not just the growing methods used in fields. Purchase your doTERRA essential oils here or contact us for custom blends.