New to yoga? We can help you prepare for your first yoga class or private session.
How do I prepare my body for my first yoga class or private session?
You don’t. You can start yoga precisely as you are right now.
Your fitness level, flexibility, strength, age, and weight are completely irrelevant to your ability to start a yoga practice. Why? Because each yoga posture (or asana) can be tailored to your needs. We use props such as blankets, blocks, straps, and chairs to help you find a pose that works for you.
What do I need to bring to my first private yoga session or yoga class?
Your willingness to learn is essential. For private sessions, Deeply Rooted Wellness + Yoga provides mats, towels, props, essential oils, and beverages. Of course, you can bring your own mat and props.
For guidance on picking out the perfect yoga mat, check out this post.
How can I get to most out of my first yoga class or private session?
Please consider the following questions before your first session:
- Do you have any physical concerns or limitations of which your instructor should be aware?
- Do you have any fitness, psychological, or emotional goals in mind?
- If so, when do you envision yourself reaching those goals?
- How do you determine when that goal is reached?
- How much time are you willing to invest each week in meeting your goals (on your own at home and in your private sessions)?
When you come prepared with answers to those questions, your teacher will be able to get started right away with a plan that fits your lifestyle, your schedule, and your goals.
What does progress in yoga look like?
Yoga asana is a lifelong practice. You likely won’t do a handstand in your first yoga class.
Even the most advanced students continue to learn from “basic” poses. With that said, two components are needed to advance from foundational poses into their more complex cousins:
- Physical Some poses have physical prerequisites. This is why your yoga teacher selects a series of specific poses that build the strength, flexibility, stability, and confidence that you need.
- Psychological Sometimes, it’s a personal choice to avoid certain postures. Other times, it’s a psychological block. We will work together to identify your preparedness and the approach that makes the most sense for your body, your goals, and lifestyle. Trust the process. The important thing is to build your practice safely.
At Deeply Rooted Wellness + Yoga, a safe practice equals strength + flexibility + stability + confidence. You will undoubtedly flourish as you develop a safe practice!
Register today for In-Home Private Yoga, Virtual Private Yoga, or our Personal Wellness Advocate program.
If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.